Thursday, August 6, 2009

i heart michigan


I suppose my draw to michigan should have started with Chris (he is from michigan). But my endearment of michigan started with John Stager. John was a patient of mine. and I LOVED him. I mean I loved him. He lit up my entire day. And every time i spent time with him, he would tell me about michigan. He wove elaborate stories of a long life lived on lakes, with family and friends, adventure and quiet moments alone with his thoughts. i loved the michigan he painted.

then, Chris and I went to michigan. it was early summer. The temperature didn't get above 78. It was blue skies and sand dunes, lakesides and adventures. and hiking. TONS of hiking.

then there is the whole plummeting automotive industry. Poor michigan is always in the news: 15% unemployment, bankrupt auto industy, and a dying city, detroit. and so michigan is kind of this underdog that I can't help but sympathize with, and that somehow pulls at my heart strings, so that I want to watch it come back out of the ashes and be a great city again.

And so I love michigan. I mean I really love michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment